Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Isaiah 61:3


This is Moses, my Chesapeake Bay Retriever.


My baby dog forever.  My birthday present.  My joy.


My lost treasure as a result of my divorce.  I never thought I would be the same without him.  

When I read about someone's misery in the Bible, my favorite words come as a balm to my vexed soul:  "But God".  That's what happened to me; I lost Moses, something I love, and I despaired, "But God" saw my grief and blessed me.  That's what He does.  He planted a new seed and grew up a new heart in me.

"...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair"  (Isaiah 61:2,3 NIV).


Enter Jesse, the Standard Poodle.  She was a year old when I met her.  I married her owner.



In the beginning of hers and my relationship, I thought, "Oh, great, a POODLE, a nuisance!"


The feeling was mutual back then.  The bars were thick between us.


She ate my flip-flops.






She ate a portion of one of my wedding gifts (alfalfa in a gift bag).



She ignored me.


We were unsure of each other.


She broke my glasses.


Then chewed them up.


She was the picture of jealousy.


She looked at me with a glare that seemed to say, "Don't let the door hit 'cha, where the good Lord split 'cha!"


And that's if she looked at me.  


Mostly, she didn't look at me.


Things needed to change.  For the better.


One day, it all came to a head.


It was an intense discussion.  One of those conversations full of emotion.


We cried.


We listened to each other's needs.


She told me about her need of pillows in her life.





And snooze-fests.


And dog bowls, just her height.


And her duck.


She loves the stuffing out of her duck.


She explained the despair she feels when I throw the duck in the washing machine.


She loves B-Lowe.  


It's a forever puppy love.

She told the tale of the day he took her home from a farm in Springville, Ut.  


She articulated her ingrained love for farm animals.


Right then I realized, we have everything in common.


We are now one.


And this, is ONE, HAPPY, DOG.


As for myself, I now wear a crown of beauty, instead of ashes.  I hold the oil of joy, instead of mourning.  I'll always love my Moses, "But God" knows what He's doing.  I needed to leave something behind, to receive something better for my future.


My future is bright.


2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post! I love Jesse's beautiful smile in that second to last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe I actually caught it in a photo, Rachel. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I put them under my pillow.