Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back-to-the-landers

I picked up a copy of The New Pioneer (farming magazine) two weeks ago on a road trip we made to Montana.  The editor's intro intrigued me....

"...a growing trend in this country--the resurgence of the family farm with a 21st century twist.  Many in their 20s and 30s now see working the land as a more rewarding way to earn a living than taking a job on Wall Street.  These back-to-the-landers are well educated, familiar with the latest technology and determined to farm organically.  And they want to leave the world a better place for their children and grandchildren."

We are back-to-the-landers.  We moved to rural Weber County two years ago to embark on a dream of agriculture.  We have four dogs and four ducks.  It's our own version of The Walton's.

Last summer, I started showing support for my 4-H neighbors at the fair.
 Loved it, but  I clearly stand out as a "greenie".
 My poor neighbors.
  I stand around and ask stupid questions, like, "can I pet your cow?"
 What's his name?
This is....err...WAS Henry, God rest his soul, and God bless the beef he provided to a trucking company's employees for Christmas last year.
My cute neighbor, Hannah, raised him and showed him last summer.  That's her in the middle of the picture, white shirt and blonde hair in the show ring.
 This was her last year in 4-H since she was a senior in high school that year.
 These are Hannah's folks, listening to the auction, watching for the guy who bid the highest on Hannah's cow.
 This was me, brushing Hannah's cow before he went into the showmanship class.  He was half Angus and half something French.
 Never mind.
Hannah won over $4,000 for her steer.  We hugged.  And spray painted Henry's legs black.  I think I'm going to try that in hopes of forgoing nylons the next time I gotta look fancy.  Who's with me?!!

Love,
D-Lowe;
Wife of B-Lowe;
Cow groomer; and,
4-H Supporter.

Go ahead, laugh it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I put them under my pillow.